With all that has been going on in the last six weeks - since finding out that Pam has breast cancer, I have to admit something to all of you. I have been incredibly overwhelmed. I have doubted the goodness of God...not in a conscious way, but in the way I was thinking and responding. No, I wasn't going off the deep end, but I was trying to lean on my own understanding.
This week I found out that my sister-in-law probably has MS. It smacked me right in the face. I questioned God, "Why? Why is this going on now?" Now, its not wrong to ask God questions, if the questions lead you right back to him. However, in my heart I was thinking, "God, we don't deserve this! Haven't we been through enough already? Why is this happening?" As I told a co-worker who is a believer about my questions, she said, "Jodi, it isn't for us to know right now." A dear friend has also been quick to remind me of truth...even when at the moment I just wanted someone to feel sorry for me. I am so thankful for their godly counsel to help me to see I wasn't thinking right.
I knew I needed some time to get my thoughts together, to focus on truth and get my eyes on Jesus. Well, it was so like God to provide me with that time! I found myself home from work on Thursday and Friday with the beginnings of a cold and then again today (Sunday) with a very upset stomach. So...here was my chance to get my thoughts "together".
Recently I had purchased CD messages (along with a study book) from Walk in the Word minstries. The messages are called Always True - 5 Exceedingly Great Promises of God by James MacDonald. Well, having the time, I thought I would listen to them. I cannot tell you how these messages from God's Word have touched my heart and are helping me to believe the truth about Him! I just want to briefly share with you each of the promises and some points that James made based on these truths. This is what I am going to choose to believe about Him (BY HIS STRENGTH) through the icky things that are going on in our family right now.
Promise #1 - God is always with me...I will not fear.
"The worse the days get, the more He is with you." - James MacDonald
Deuteronomy 31:6 "Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified or afraid of them. The Lord your God goes with you. He will never leave you nor forsake you."
Promise #2 - God is always in control...I will not doubt.
"Doubt is the direct result of taking my eyes off the Lord." -James. Like in Matthew 14 when Peter was walking on the water and took his eyes off of Jesus to look at the waves and wind...thats what I do when start to "sink" - I'm looking at my circumstances, not Jesus.
Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding, in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight."
Promise #3 - God is always good...I will not despair.
"Hope is a confident expectation of something better tomorrow." - James
Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Promise #4 - God is always watching...I will not falter.
"He watches the depth of the water, the heat of the fire...at the moment you can't go on He will say, "ENOUGH!" - James
1 Corinthians 10:31 "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it."
Promise #5 - God is always Victorious...I will not fail.
I haven't gotten to this one yet :)
SO...If you are a believer in Jesus Christ and have embraced Him as your Savior, YOU can rest in these promises too! They are EXCEEDINGLY GREAT AND PRECIOUS! (2 Peter 1:4) If you aren't a believer (yet), hope is just a prayer away!
3 comments:
AMEN! Thank you for sharing that, how encouraging! I will continue to pray for you and your loved ones, that he will heal and that your eyes will stay fixed on Him and His goodness!
Thanks for the encouraging promises Jode! We're going to keep praying it up for your fam! You are not in this alone and God is still working out His glory through all the trials in this life.
Thank you for sharing!!! I really needed to read those! :) You and your family continue to be in my prayers. Let me know what I can do for you!!! :)
Post a Comment